Regatta Rules and Expectations
In addition to the Code of Conduct Form every team member must sign to participate there are a series of expectations and rules specific to regattas that sailors and their parents need to respect and abide by.
Understand these rules and expectations are in place to help the coach organize the team for events in a timely manner, that is also fair in terms of participation. Please help the coach and team by participating as often as possible, and being as timely and clear about your availability as soon as you can.
Expectations for the OYC High School Sailing Team
- Commitment is highly valued on the OYC HS Team. It demonstrates a sailor is serious, dedicated, and is a team player.
- It is difficult to plan regattas when sailors do not confirm their availability in a timely manner. Ideally sailors and their parents sign-up for as many regattas as they know they can at the start of a season, and as soon as they know their availability for additional events they sign up.
- However, only sign up if you can commit to going. Even one team member backing out of a regatta can affect the performance of the entire team.
- We make a conceded effort to make it possible for every sailor who wants to attend a regatta to be able to do so.
Rules for the OYC High School Sailing Team
- When sailors pay dues and regularly attend practices it is also expected they attend as many regattas as possible.
- Sailors are expected to submit a “Regatta Sign-Up Form” for each event, even if they cannot attend.
- Signing up for a regatta means you are committing to the event but does not guarantee you will get to attend.
- Regatta sign-up time may be used as a factor in deciding who attends an event, so it is important to sign up for each regatta ASAP.
- Please, only sign-up for a regatta if:
- You can remain available to go until the day before the event.
- You can attend the entire event. Email the coach for special circumstances.
- A sailor who has committed to a regatta and back outs without a valid reason, may negatively impact their ability to attend future events. This is at the coach's discretion.
- The Deadline to sign up for any given regatta is 2 weeks prior to the date of the regatta. Sailors must sign up before the deadline if they want priority to attend. After 2 weeks there is no guarantee you will be considered for the event.
- If you sign up within 75 hours of any given regatta, you must also email the coach to notify them you are signing up late.